Changes to your circumstances and Universal Credit

If you have a change in your circumstances then it is your responsibility to inform the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP).  This includes changes in your rent.

Your Universal Credit may be stopped or reduced if you don’t report changes in your circumstances straight away.

Changes that you should report include (but are not limited to):

  • Starting work or finishing a job

  • having or caring for a child

  • a change to your address

  • a change to your banking details

  • your rent going up or down

  • becoming too ill to work or meet your work coach

You don’t need to report any changes to your income unless you’re self-employed.

If you’ve been paid too much you’ll have to repay the money if you:

  • didn’t report a change straight away

  • gave wrong information

  • were overpaid by mistake

You could be prosecuted or fined if you give inaccurate, false or incomplete information or you don’t report changes straight away.

You can report changes in your circumstances by:

  • using your Universal Credit online account

  • calling the Universal Credit helpline:

    Telephone: 0345 600 0723

    Text phone: 0345 600 0743

    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

If your change in circumstances means you won’t have enough money to live on before your next payment, you can call the Universal Credit helpline to ask for an advance.

It is your responsibility to pay your rent out of your Universal Credit lump sum.  Failure to pay your rent on time could put your home at risk.  Please contact us on 0333 200 7304 as soon as possible if you think you are going to be unable to pay your rent. If you are unable to manage your finances you can also check if you may be eligible for an Alternative Payment Arrangement.