How will the Benefit Cap affect my Universal Credit?

Since April 2013, there has been a limit on the total amount that people of working age can receive in benefits.

These limits are:

  • £384.62 a week for single parents whose children live with them

  • £384.62 for couples, with our without children.

  • £257.69 a week if you are a single person

You are not affected by the cap if you or your partner work, and either of the following apply:

  • you or your partner are eligible for Working Tax Credit

  • you or your partner get Universal Credit, and your household income is more than £520 a month after tax and National Insurance

If the benefit income you and your household are entitled to receive is above the cap, and your are not exempt, then the amount of money you get will be limited to the capped level.

Incomes that count include:

  • Bereavement Allowance

  • Child Benefit

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the ‘support’ component)

  • Housing Benefit

  • Incapacity Benefit

  • Income Support

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Maternity Allowance

  • Severe Disablement Allowance

  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension if you started getting it before 9 April 2001)

  • Universal Credit (unless you’ve had a work capability assessment and aren’t fit for work)

Benefits that aren’t included

You’re not affected by the cap if anyone in your household qualifies for Working Tax Credit or gets any of the following benefits:

  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Carer’s Allowance

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

  • Employment and Support Allowance (if you get the support component)

  • Guardian’s Allowance

  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a War Disablement Pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • Universal Credit payments towards carer’s costs or for ‘limited capability for work and work-related activity’

  • War pensions

  • War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

If your benefits are reduced because of the benefit cap then you are responsible for making sure your rent is paid.

If you do not pay your rent, your home may be at risk.  If you are unable to pay your rent you must contact us immediately to discuss this.

You may be entitled to some extra help called Discretionary Housing Payments - you can find out more about these here or by visiting the website.

If you need help with managing your money including more information on what support is available through Platform, improving your budgeting skills, opening a bank account, or other organisations that can help, please follow the links or see the Help with managing your money section of this website.

If you are unsure as to whether or not you are affected by the benefit cap, you can work out your benefits entitlement by checking the benefits calculator.