Making home improvements

If you wish to make any improvements or alterations to your home, you will need to get written permission from us before starting the work.

For example, you will need permission before:

  • adding or moving electrical points
  • fitting a gas fire, satellite dish or shower
  • putting in double glazing, fencing or a fish pond
  • making changes to the central heating
  • removing fitted units or doors
  • building a patio, conservatory or extension
  • knocking down or building a wall

If you need alterations to your home to help you continue living independently, we may be able to help – please see Aids and adaptations.

How to request permission for home improvements

To discuss your proposals, please call us on 0333 200 7304 or write to us at Repairs Team, Platform Housing Group (east), 1700 Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, Solihull B37 7YD.

We will ask to see drawings and information such as the measurements and the materials you plan to use. In some cases, you will also have to get planning or building control permissions from your local council.

We try to be reasonable in considering requests for improvements, but we may apply certain conditions. For example, asking you to:

  • return the property to its original condition when you leave
  • get appropriate safety certificates from installers
  • pay for any work that we have to carry out if your improvement is unsafe or breaks any other regulations

How to claim for home improvements

When your tenancy comes to an end, you may be entitled to compensation for some improvements made with our permission. You must make the claim within a certain time, and provide receipts to confirm how much you spent and when the work was done.

Please call us on 0333 200 7304 for further information.