Aids and adaptations

If you, or someone you live with, has a disability or health issue which affects your independence at home we may be able to help.

Your home could be adapted or fitted with special aids that help make everyday life easier.

Minor aids and adaptations

These include straightforward changes such as fitting handrails, grab rails or lever taps on sinks and basins.

You can ask us for a minor aid or adaptation and tell us why you think it is suitable for your needs. If we agree to your request, we will organise and pay for it. The work will normally be carried out within 90 days.

Major aids, adaptations and alterations

These include structural changes, or removing or replacing existing fixtures and fittings.

Examples include fitting stairlifts, over-bath showers, level access showers and floor lifts. Other examples are home extensions, widening doors and installing ramps.

The need for a major adaptation has to be supported by an Occupational Therapist’s assessment through your local council’s Social Care team.

We will need to approve any works before they start.

Help with major changes

We will not normally be able to pay for any major aid, adaptation or alteration.

You should be able to apply for a Disabled Facility Grant (DFG) from your local council.  How much you can receive depends on your income and savings, so you may have to pay towards the cost.

If you can’t get a DFG, there are some charities that may be able to help you. We can help by putting you in touch with them.

We can’t make a grant application for you. But we may be able to help you with advice on aspects such as agreeing the plans and specifications and getting written estimates for the work.

If your home is unsuitable for adaptations, we may still be able to help you, for example by helping you move to a more suitable property.

Please see our Aids and Adaptations Policy (below) or call us on 0333 200 7304 if you need more information

PDFAids and adaptations policy.pdf, 71 kDownload