Mutual exchange

If you are a social housing tenant and want to move, you may be able to swap homes with another tenant. This is known as a mutual exchange.

Mutual exchange offers a quick way to move and is easy to arrange. Usually, you can swap with other tenants of your current landlord, or with residents from other housing associations or councils.

Finding a mutual exchange

It is up to you to find another resident who wants to swap homes with you. Whether you are looking for a smaller or bigger home, a local move or relocation to another area, there are a number of websites that can help you find people with the type of home you want.

We recommend Homes Direct: this free website lists properties for rent, sale and exchange and is linked to the national home swap scheme. To register, you must complete an online application form and be accepted onto their housing register. You can find more information and sign up on the Homes Direct website.

Making the swap

Once you have agreed a swap with another tenant, you will need your landlord's permission to make the exchange. We will usually agree to our residents swapping homes as long as there are no problems with their tenancy. Other landlords may have different conditions.

New homes

We aim to build around 1,000 new affordable homes every year.

Find out where we're building now DBI_0203 ok.JPG

Immediately available homes

We have a few homes which we can let to you directly

Check the latest listing